Learn How to use Audit Trail In QuickBooks Desktop in Simple Steps
Introduction to Audit Trail
The QuickBooks Audit Trail report provides a digital fingerprint of the activities that happen within your QuickBooks file. It tracks user entries, modified transactions and deleted transactions. The QuickBooks Audit Trail is ON by default in all versions 2006 and above. Prior to that, it had to be turned on manually.
QuickBooks Audit Trail can be accessed by clicking: Reports > Accountant and Taxes > Audit Trail report
By default, it will only display the activity for today. However, you can change it manually by changing the date in the upper left-hand corner as per your need.
Here we will explain the importance of Audit Trail report and why should the businesses implement it.
- As a Training Tool – If a large number of deleted or modified transactions appear within the report, the first question would be WHY? Is it due to lack of knowledge? Or there are some other reasons? QuickBooks Audit Trail is the solution to your answers.
- As a Control Tool – The owner can quickly scan the list of users and transactions processed to ensure that they are only accessing the transactions they have been authorized to. This is a key component of proper internal controls, and the audit trail can provide this information quickly and easily.
Now we will discuss the various options under each tab heading.
- Under Display, we have various options. REPORT DATE RANGE indicates the date of the transactions.
- “Days entered / Last modified” feature shows when the transaction was modified or entered.
- Columns option allows us to choose which columns are visible on the report and to the right of that we can choose to display transactions which have been deleted.
You can use filters to refine your search for transactions. You can select various filters such as Name, Amount, Account etc. from the list. Select the filter you want to apply from the scrollbar. Applied filters are shown on the right side of the filter tab where you can REMOVE them by choosing “Remove Selected Filter“.
Header and Footer
This tab is to edit and modify what shows up in the header and footer of the report in question. You can edit any field by just clicking on the tab. You can set different alignments from the Alignment bar.
Fonts and Numbers
This tab is designed to modify the appearance of the report. By default, the report will take on the default report settings found under Edit>Preferences>Reports & Graphs>Company Preferences> Format, but each report can be modified as per the preferences from this tab.
We have guided you to use QuickBooks Audit Tool in this article in details explaining all the tabs individually. For further assistance visit